10 Stats About Meals on Wheels
Five days a week, homebound seniors are guaranteed to have a meal delivered to their home via the Meals on Wheels program administered by Elder Care Services. It’s an ongoing and important task made possible by generous donations and a dedicated corps of volunteers. We’ve collected the stats that show just how big the Meals on Wheels operation is in our hometown.
• 3 dollars: cost of each meal
• 620 volunteers; 50 make deliveries each weekday
• 5 days a week, meals are delivered to 387 homebound seniors
• 8 congregate meal sites allow seniors to socialize while receiving meals
• 52,200 pounds of meat is uesed to make meals annually
• $43,000 amount raised by Tallahassee community after budget cuts in April 2013
• 4 million meals delivered by ECS (as of May 22, 2013)
• $798,392 annual budget
• 8.1% of Tallahassee's population are persons 65 and older
• 130,000 meal were given to seniors through the Meals on Wheels and its congregate meal sites in 2012
And here’s another number you’re sure to enjoy: For $10, ECS will deliver a delicious hot lunch to your office during its annual Let’s Do Lunch fundraiser Nov. 13. For more information, visit ecsbigbend.org or call (850) 245-5931.