14sep9:30 am12:00 pmStaying Positive With Parkinson'sFree Community Event Shares Strategies For Living a Happier and Healthier Life Featuring Neuropsychology Specialist Dr. Dawn Bowers and Dr. Terry Ward, Focusing On Accessibility and Technology9:30 am - 12:00 pm Saint Paul's United Methodist Church, 1700 N Meridian Rd, Tallahassee, Florida 32303Event Type :Fitness,Health
A FREE seminar for those with Parkinson's Disease and their caregivers, "Staying Positive With Parkinson's" will take place on Saturday, Sept. 14 at Saint Paul’s United Methodist Church (1700 N
A FREE seminar for those with Parkinson’s Disease and their caregivers, “Staying Positive With Parkinson’s” will take place on Saturday, Sept. 14 at Saint Paul’s United
Methodist Church (1700 N Meridian Rd, Tallahassee, FL 32303) from 9:30 a.m. to noon with an optional complimentary lunch to follow.
The program includes:
• Presentation and Q&A by neuropsychologist Dawn Bowers Ph.D; who currently sees patients and conducts research at the Cognitive Neuroscience Lab in the University of Florida’s Fixel Institute of Neurological Diseases
• Presentation and Q&A by Terry Ward, Ph.D., ATP, CAPS, RET; who specializes in accessible housing and independent living technology
• Panel discussion featuring Tallahassee residents living with PD
• Opportunity to network with Rock Steady Boxing Head Coach and Sweat Therapy Fitness Owner/ Founder Kim Bibeau
• Vendor tables featuring resources for those with Parkinson’s Disease
• Opportunity to socialize with others in the Parkinson’s community
• Optional complimentary lunch
The goal of Staying Positive With Parkinson’s is to bring awareness to the mental health issues that often accompany PD and provide individuals, caregivers and families with everyday strategies to reduce depression, apathy and anxiety. Dr. Bowers will take a clinical approach by sharing the signs of depression, apathy and anxiety in those with PD and provide strategies to reduce symptoms and improve quality of life. Dr. Ward will use his biomechanical expertise to provide tips for creating a home environment which supports positive mental health by fostering independence and security.
In addition to hearing from experts, the program includes a panel discussion featuring Tallahassee residents living with PD. Panelists will share personal stories and answer audience questions.
This event is part of Sweat Therapy’s biannual speaker series; a community outreach arm of their Rock Steady Boxing program, which helps those with PD fight their symptoms through non-contact, boxing-based group fitness.
To RSVP to Staying Positive with Parkinson’s, email RSVP@sweattherapyfitness.com or call 850.222.1781. Admission is complimentary but a reservation is strongly suggested.
(Saturday) 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Saint Paul's United Methodist Church
1700 N Meridian Rd, Tallahassee, Florida 32303
Sweat Therapy FitnessKathryn Wolter 1122 Thomasville Road Tallahassee FL 32303