Beacons That to Us Beckon
Lighthouses, wrote the novelist Virginia Woolf, are “endlessly suggestive signifiers of both human isolation and our ultimate connectedness to one another.”
One such shining sentry, the St. Marks Lighthouse, was built in 1831 for the first time, then torn down and rebuilt in 1842.
Located in the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge, it has through many decades added an element of poignant history and handsome beauty to the Wakulla County coastline. Today, the aging structure is in need of repairs. A crowd-funding effort has been established at indiegogo.com in hopes of raising $12,000 to refurbish the lighthouse’s lantern room.
In addition, the general appropriations bill signed by Gov. Rick Scott in March included $500,000 in grant money reserved for the refurbishing of the lighthouse. A contractor certified in historic restoration will oversee work on the keeper’s quarters, the lantern room and the rest of the lighthouse. The project also calls for the construction of a museum.
The lighthouse is impressive when seen from the ground and water, and its stature is undiminished even when it is seen from above, a view presented here via aerial photography.
For seafarers, its light has been as warm and as welcoming as any other, a symbol of civilization and home and connections.