Monthly Garden Chores for January/February
By Audrey Post, Ms. Grow-It-All®
Your Monthly Garden Chores
Smitt / iStock / Getty Images Plus
- Plant pre-chilled bulbs early in the month.
- Plant trees this month, making sure to consider the tree’s size at maturity when selecting a site.
- Plant bare-root roses this month. Container-grown roses can be planted anytime.
- Prune roses. Remove dead or damaged canes back to the ground. Remove crossed or rubbing canes. Take care not to remove more than one-third of the canes on the shrub. Cut back overall size by no more than one-third. Repeat over the next two years to rejuvenate overgrown rose bushes.
- Plant potatoes. Local nurseries will have seed potatoes that do well in our area, along with instructions on how to plant them.
- Give your citrus trees their first dose of fertilizer for the year.